Be defensive against identity theft, compromise and malware. The following are some suggestions for basic IT security.
- Follow password rules. Never share your password. Choose different passwords for different sites.
- Confidential information should not be sent via email. Email is not secure.
- Install antivirus/antispyware software, and have it updated automatically.
- Use only secure Wi-Fi when transmitting confidential data (credit card numbers, banking, etc.).
- Don’t be a phishing scam victim. Rutgers will never ask you for your password or other confidential information in email.
- Protect your social networking with privacy settings.
For more information on these and other computing topics, visit rusecure.rutgers.edu.
Users who sign on to the Rutgers Central Authentication Service (CAS) with their NetID and password will be able to move between software applications that use CAS without having to re-enter that information for each separate application. Please use single sign-on (SSO) responsibly.
Read the security guidelines at https://cas.rutgers.edu/sso/sso_security_guidelines.html and remember to close the web browser after completing a session that requires NetID and password.